Sunday, July 24, 2022

Day 3626: Another Hero.

 

  

"Broken Promises": junk mail collage, inks, digital.


 


Want music?




Click here: Jackson 5, Got To Be There.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S ... 

Another hero!

Oseola McCarty

Oseola McCarty was just five feet tall and weighed less than one hundred pounds. She quit school in the 6th grade when her grandmother that raised her became ill and needed care. “I would have gone back.” she said, “But the people in my class had done gone on, and I was too big. I wanted to be with my class.” Instead she worked. She washed clothes and she saved. "Every month I'd save the same and put it away. I was consistent." She saved more than she could ever need. So in 1995, in her late 80s, she donated $300,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi, the college in her hometown, to finance a scholarship for low-income students.

In her words, "'I wanted to share my wealth with the children.” said Miss McCarty, whose only real regret is that she never went back to school. “I never minded work, but I was always so busy, busy. Maybe I can make it so the children don't have to work as hard as I did.'" 

 



 

Update ...

Another Last of the Boone County, IN 4-H Fair
 
 

"Well, the cats weren’t terribly excited, but both came home with reserve champion this year which is pretty awesome to us! That’s a wrap on 4-H 2022" Sheryl (Mom)




Congratulations to Masin and Lucie and their cats, and parents Sheryl and David.

 


 
 
 
A special 7-minute video, penguin rescuehere.


 
Just because ...
 
White-throated Kingfisher

 
 


Smiles for Sunday ...
 
 



  

 


 
 


 
 
   
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today

 

6 comments:

authenticadultwoman said...

I love the story of Oseola McCarty! What a heroic, determined, generous woman. I admire her enormously. Thank you for featuring her - what an example for all of us.

elenor said...

Jacki, I'm so impressed by your collages you share every day. They always have a meaning and express the title you found perfectly. Finding a title seems to me as difficult as the collage making.
Each day it's a delight to visit our blog. Thanks for that!

john said...

Broken promises, so true. I can't even imagine how many broken promises one might have in their lifetime. Layers of them I am sure. When you think about war, the broken promises just add on.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Dorothy! So good to hear from you.i think of you often and am flttered that you check the blog sometimes. Yes, Oseola is such a great example of someone who is happy giving to make other s happy. What a concept. ;o)

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor, your kind words are a wonderful compliment and I so appreciate you taking the time to comment almost daily. Thank you, again.

jacki long said...

Yes, so many, but a big one recently when Russia bombed the Ukranian port after promising just 24 hours earlier to not harm the ports so food could be moved.