Monday, April 26, 2021

Day 3170: Three more weeks ...


 

"Claudine"

 Claudine is a heavy watercolor postcard, with an ink brush drawing, watercolor and junk mail collage.


I rarely have a plan, I just start drawing and see what happens.  As you can see, from start to finish, she goes through changes.

 



Want music?




Click here for Jacob Collier, Daniel Caesar, Best Part.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 2GN2S

  Our favorites this week

One big Gothic family

Quick — what's the difference between a gargoyle and a grotesque? (The answer is after this section) A conservation group funding the restoration of Paris' famed Notre Dame cathedral has come up with a unique way to get people invested in the building's restoration. Through a crowdfunding campaign, donors can "adopt" some of the cathedral's most famed residents, like its grotesques, saints and paintings, by donating to their specific restoration. Some of the cathedral's grotesques are so famous, they've acquired nicknames — like Stryga, pictured above. While various saints have already reached their goals, there are plenty of these fantastic beasts (and a likeness of Joan of Arc) that need a little more love. 

(Gargoyles drain rainwater, while grotesques are simply statues.)

 

Update

Three more weeks till I can drive! 

I have been blessed with people who help me. WonderWoman flies in with great food, so no chance of losing weight. Yesterday, she brought me 4 tacos from Las Casuelas in Palm Springs, my favorite.

 I had 2 for supper and 2 this morning for breakfast and I still have rice, beans and yummy salsa for supper. My dear friend, Carole has been my personal Uber, twice! 

Tonight is the Oscars, do you watch? I like to see the clothes.

(Photo by Chris Pizzello-Pool/Getty Images)

An Oscar statue design on a red carpet backdrop is pictured at Union Station, one of the locations for Sunday's 93rd Academy Awards. I usually try to see the movies, but I am way behind this year. 

But that reminds me ... yesterday, Saturday morning I was working on today's blog with the tv running behind me. All of a sudden I got caught up in the dialog, turned around and started watching a Walt Disney animated film. I didn't even know the name of it! I moved into the living room, curled up with a throw to watch the entire movie. At the end, I still didn't know the name, but knew that I loved it. After a few google attempts; "Grouchy man flies house away with balloons", I found out is was "UP!" Have you seen it?



Just the cutest, sweetest movie in a long time, the trailer is here. I felt like I channeled the little kid in me, watching tv on a Saturday morning.


 

 
 


•  A beautiful 2+ minute video, pizza toast, here.
•  A  yummy 5+minute video, garlic cheese bread, here.
•  A factual 4-minute video, Corpse Flower, here.


  
Just because ...
 
Am Kestral



  
                        
Smiles for Monday ...
 
 

 
 
 



 

 



                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

7 comments:

john said...

I am always drawn to the personality of each of your portraits. Claudine seems so sweet. It is brilliant that you were able to achieve shading with the junk mail on the neck like you did. Love it! :-)

SlocombesOut&About said...

Hi Jacki, the best part of "UP" are the first 6-8 minutes. It's not to be missed. It sets up the whole movie and is one of the most poignant pieces of animation I've seen. You'll be glad to have watched it.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John! I think
it is stunning how much the watercolor and the junk mail add to the initial drawing. It always surprises me.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Denise! Yes, it was the beginning that caught me and made me turn around to watch. That little boy at the door was precious.

elenor said...

How great, you are doing "how-to"s again! Claudine is such a charming lady. She turned prettier with each step.
I loved your story about Notre Dame and its restoration. I think you love and you fear these grotesques at the same time. It's as if they are from another time and another world we remember vaguely.
I already had forgotten the differences between a gargoyle and a grotesque, so your blog not only was just a treat for the eyes but also educational. Thanks, Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. I learn many new things as I prepare the blogs, and I often add them in. I have a fascination for gargoyles and didn't know the difference between them and grotesques. Wishing you a lovely week, dear Elenor.

Branmuffin said...

Sorry Jacki, just catching up with your blogs now!

UP is a great movie...one of my favorites!