Saturday, April 3, 2021

Day 3164: I'll "play it be ear"?

 

 

"Jeffrey": old photo, collages, gesso, and digital

 



Want music?




Click here for Prince, Sweet Thing.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

Update

Today I was responding on a text to WonderWoman, we were talking about after my upcoming surgery Monday, and I said,

 "I'll play it by ear." 

 


And then, I wondered if anyone said that anymore?  The reference (I think) comes from someone learning to play a piece on the piano, finding the notes by ear. My Dad used to use that term sometimes, and today it popped out of me?

Google said it better: To play it by ear is to act spontaneously and according to the situation. Playing it by ear means you have no game plan. The original meaning of this term was to play music without sheet music, meaning you either remembered the music or improvised it.

Have you ever heard it, or said it? Just asking?

 

 

 
 


•  A beautiful 2-minute video, Yo-Yo Ma, here.
•  A  cute 5-minute video, Edgar met Sally, here.
•  A funny 3-1/2 minute video, Carrot Crazy, here.


  
Just because ...
 
 
Merican Kestral, photo by Steve Gettle



  
                         

Smiles for Saturday ...
 
 

 
 

 
 









 












                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

7 comments:

john said...

It is pretty amazing how many idioms we use in our languages. Every language has them. I have used ‘playing by ear’ quite a bit. Good luck on Monday with your surgery. I am sure the surgeon won’t be playing it by ear. Great piece of art, Jacki.

Irene Rafael said...

I have used the idiom. It often describes how I do things and when things turn out best. Thinking of you dear Jacki. What time will you go in?
I remember doing a collage piece with Jeffrey. I tore him in half but wish I would have scanned a copy before I did.
There is so et impelling about his expression. Your aunt’s student, right?
I always love hearing YoYo Ma.
Enjoy your weekend❤️

elenor said...

In German we also have such an idiom. If somebody can play music by ear means he is quite a gifted musician.
After a warm and sunny week it was really cold this afternoon (46°F) with rain showers and bits of sunshine in between. Not the finest weather for our Easter visit but we nevertheless enjoyed spending time together. It's such a gift to hear the kids laugh and see the joy in their eyes. Good news is that people over 65 will be vaccinated in April. So we can hope to have easier times soon?
Happy Easter, dear Jacki

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. I am glad you like Jeffrey, and also have used the idiom.
I was surprised when I said it as I hadn't heard it in quite a while. I do trust Dr. Sodl as he is young, and works with athletes which I want to think I was at one time. ;o)

jacki long said...

Thanks, Irene. Yes, I agree when we don't over-plan things seem to go more smoothly. My check-in is at 6 am, surgery at 7:30 am. So before noon, I should have a new shoulder. I don't have a copy of your Jeffrey, but I will send you a Jeffery when he surfaces next? Happy Easter to you both.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. Isn't it great that we have similar idioms. I find them very interesting. I am sorry that your Easter weather wasn't as good as it might have been, but I am sure your family brought the sunshine in? My family will be together tomorrow, Easter Sunday at 10 am. I am still quarantined until my surgery, so I cannot attend, but next year. I am happy for you to both get vaccinated, you'll be relieved.

Anonymous said...

Sending you lots of cheer and well wishes for Monday's surgery Jacki. We love you!