Friday, July 17, 2026

Day 5075: Terrible's History & Montana Education Effort.

"Hidden Memories": photos, junk collage, digital.



                                                                       
  

Want music?

    Click: Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell, You're All I Need 

2GN2S 

Day 11.

I wondered what I would add today, since I don't have anything as dramatic as yesterday's monsoon? But last Sunday, I was with Zack in his truck on our way home from church and we stopped at Terrible's, a convenience store, as he wanted chips to go with the sandwiches that his Mom was getting for our lunch. I took this photo, you can see the photographers hand in the rear view mirror. An artistic touch, by accident. You see the Terrible's name on stores everywhere, car washes, casinos, road house, gas stations, gaming and even a hotel.


People here are used to it and don't think anything about it. so when I point it out, they say, "Yeah, they are everywhere." 
So, today I decided to go down the Terrible rabbit hole. Come along. Terrible's is a Las Vegas institution that began with a single Chicago gas station in the 1930s before evolving into an empire of 190+ convenience stores, car washes, and casinos across Nevada, California, Utah, and Arizona. The iconic name and mustachioed mascot originated when a competitor called the founder’s son a "terrible s.o.b.". Today, it boasts over 190 convenience stores—including the world's largest Chevron in Jean, Nevada

The chain's mustachioed cowboy mascot, known as Mr. Terrible or "Bad Guy," is a caricature of that original, aggressive competitor's nickname. Here is a timeline of its local evolution: 

  • Gaming Expansion (1980s–2000s): The family expanded from fuel and convenience stores into gaming by opening Terrible's-branded casinos in Pahrump and Las Vegas, including a property on the former site of the Continental Hotel.
  • Bankruptcy and Rebranding (2009): Weak gasoline prices, increased casino competition, and the 2008 recession forced the family’s casino company into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Ownership was handed to lenders, and the casino arm reorganized and rebranded as Affinity Gaming. The Jean Casino Closure: The iconic Terrible's Hotel and Casino in Jean, NV—which opened as the Gold Strike in 1987—closed in 2020 following COVID-19 and was partially demolished for an industrial park. 
  • Primm Resurgence: The brand expanded operations and saved jobs by partnering to operate and manage the massive casino resorts across the Nevada-California border in Primm, including Buffalo Bill's and Primm Valley.
  • Today, the convenience store division (which officially dropped "Herbst" from its chain name) operates the world's largest Chevron (featuring a 96-pump station and 700-square-foot beer cave) in Jean, Nevada. 


    TMI? 




     



      
     
    A 6 minute video, Cyanotype cat, here.
     
     
    Just because ...
       
    Bornean Banded Pitta

    Friday's Smiles ... 

     



















    Hoping you feel all the good things in your day.


      


     

    2 comments:

    elenor said...

    Jacki, your photo is really funny and artistic. You always have a good time with Zack, true?
    I love your collage - the title is perfect. And I also love your last smile.
    Still no rain today. But as you mentioned yesterday - thanks for your kind answer - we must get used to all the changes and adopt. That's life.
    Have a great weekend with family.

    jacki long said...

    Thank you, Elenor. Wishing you relied from the heat soon, take good care.