Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Day 4349: Dance Evolution, Manipulated art.


"Ghost of War": junk mail collage, ink.



  

Want music?

 

    

Click : Staple Singers, I'll Take You There.

 


  

 

 
2GN2S


Dance Evolution, Health & Community



A new study indicates that dancing is one of the best forms of treatment for depression. Australian researchers have published a study that shows that the best form of exercise to treat depression is dancing, beating out several exercises including walking or jogging, yoga, tai chi, and strength training among others. The study aimed to identify what kind of exercise would be best for treating major depressive disorder, either in tandem or compared to the prescription of psychotherapy, and antidepressants.


More effective than medication, therapy, and yoga, dancing recently topped the list of successful treatments for depression, and for good reason. Since time immemorial, boogying has permeated every culture and formed the basis of social bonds, a linchpin of community and strong mental health.

A delightful short film directed and animated by Rosanna Wan and Andrew Khosravani for Aeondetails the scientific link between dance and good feelings. When people come together to tango or jump-step through a polka, they often experience what’s known as collective effervescence, a concept coined by the French sociologist Émile Durkheim that describes the harmony and joy that arises when gathering in a group with a shared purpose.


As the film notes, “dance is the great accelerator of collective effervescence,” hurtling us toward synchronicity and happiness through a euphoric rush of neuro-hormones, endorphins, and more. When we dance together, we experience ourselves merging, becoming one energized, exuberant unit.

Watch “Dance, Dance Evolution” above, and find more from Aeon on Vimeo.




I have been doing collage for a long, long time. I started as an art student in collage, and have loved it ever since. 


"Six": junk mail collage (6 pieces)

This is one of a series I did in 2014 for the City of Mission Viejo. It was 24 x 24" digital copy on my original 4x4" collage in my journal. I still have it. The lead art in today's blog, is the same artwork but manipulated to be a new work? I am sure you prefer the original above, as do I, but I was tired and had always seem another figure?

So there! ;o)


 

  
 
A   minute video,  Dance Evolution, here
 
 
 

  
 
Just because ...
  
Oriental Magpie


 

Tuesday's Smiles ...  






 
     




     

 

   

 
 
 
   


  
 
 
 




 



2 comments:

elenor said...

Jacki, again i loved everything on today's blog.
When I looked at "Ghost of War", I thought: wow, that's a totally new idea. You did great, Jacki. I love the original collage but I think the overworked one is brilliant - as is the title.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. Your pretty postcard from Crete came yesterday! I thank you for thinking of me and I love it so much. That on WW & Sm's list of places they want to see. Take good care! ;o)