 |
| Quick sketches & collage in older journal. |
Want music?
Click: Tom Misch, South of the River.

2GN2S
“Kolaj” is the Turkish word for collage and the phonetic spelling of collage in French. Kolaj Magazine is a quarterly, printed, art magazine reviewing and surveying contemporary collage with an international perspective, interested in collage as a medium, a genre, a community, and a 21st century art movement. In Kolaj #24, author, mental health professional, and collage artist Laurie Kanyer considers what is going on in the brain when an artist is making collage. When an artist creates a collage, they use areas of the brain and body systems that calm the body and tap into creative problem solving.
Additionally, collage making meets emotional needs, providing the artist a tool to identify and express feelings and life experiences. By making a collage, people do not have to be emotionally constipated. It provides provides a way to put into the world events that are too hard or possibly even unsafe to speak out loud. The benefit of the symbolic representation of a feeling is that the creator can express, see and share that feeling in a collage.
 |
| 'Therapy Girl": junk paper collage |
The above is a very simplistic collage, that I did years ago for the blog. I had been reading about a young woman starting therapy, and did it just for fun. And even though it was ten years ago or maybe more, I still remember smiling as I fitted the scraps of paper into place. I had no boundaries or even a destination, I was just having fun. Soon after posting I was contacted by an artist who "had to have it". She said it just hit home with her. I had made it on a journal page, so I had to let her know it was on not-great paper, but she still wanted it, so I sent it. And, back when I taught journalling and collage, I always stressed having fun in the making, rather judging an outcome.

Cheetahs look similar to other famous big cats, but they are quite different in one important way: they cannot roar. Lions, tigers, leopards and jaguars are known for their powerful roars, while cheetahs communicate using a completely different range of sounds.
The main reason is their anatomy. Lions, tigers, leopards and jaguars belong to the genus Panthera. They have specialized structures in their voice boxes that allow them to produce a deep, powerful roar. Cheetahs, however, belong to the genus Acinonyx. Their vocal anatomy is different, which means they cannot create the same type of roaring sound.
Instead of roaring, cheetahs have several other ways of communicating. They can purr, chirp, hiss, growl, bark and make other distinctive sounds. One of their most recognizable sounds is a high-pitched chirp, which can sometimes sound surprisingly similar to a bird. Cheetahs may use these sounds to communicate with their cubs, attract other cheetahs or signal different emotions and situations.
Interestingly, cheetahs can purr not only while breathing out but also while breathing in, allowing them to produce a continuous purring sound. Their vocalizations are especially important because cheetahs are generally solitary animals, although mothers stay with their cubs and males may form small groups.
Their inability to roar does not make them less impressive. In fact, cheetahs have evolved other remarkable abilities. They are the fastest land animals, capable of reaching speeds of around 60–70 mph (97–113 km/h) during short bursts. Their lightweight bodies, long legs, flexible spines and large nasal passages help them accelerate rapidly while chasing prey.
So, although cheetahs may look like typical big cats, their body structure, behavior and communication are quite unique. Their soft purrs and unusual chirps are part of what makes these incredible animals so distinctive

A 5+ minute video, Ladybug, here.
Just because ...
 |
| Ashy Thrush |

Monday's Smiles ...
Hoping you see all the good things in your day.
No comments:
Post a Comment