Sunday, September 27, 2026

Day 5147: The Joys of Friendship & Texas Geothermal Plant.

"Research": junk paper collage, digital.

                                                                       
  

Want music?



   Click:  Ryan Toby, Oh Happy Day!


2GN2S

Oh the Joys of Friendship 

I got up earlier on Saturday to drive to Westminster, CA to have an early Mediterranean lunch with good, good friend and artist, Irene. 

Where we eat has a history with us, and is about halfway between our homes. We only live about forty mils apart, but here with LA traffic, that's at least a two hour drive. We met at 11am and after hugs, and news we ordered our lunch. I am thankful Irene thought to take the photo, as I don't think I would have remembered? Good friends are so precious, knowing each other's family and history. We used to travel together and have so many great memories. Two hours pass quickly and we are promising to repeat soon. Irene went to nearby Artist Warehouse to get some special pencils. I told her I am not allowed. I still have a preponderance of art supplies at home and the will power of a gnat in such a great art store, so I started for home. A lovely way to start the weekend. Thank you, Irene, you are so special to me.




     The oil well that once pumped carbon is now pumping clean heat. In Texas, a new geothermal plant has been built using an abandoned oil well. The well, which was drilled 5,000 feet deep, now circulates a working fluid to absorb the Earth's heat and generate 2 MW of power. This is the first commercial project of its kind in the United States. Texas has over 100,000 abandoned wells, and many of them could be repurposed for geothermal energy. The project solves two problems at once: plugging leaky wells and generating clean power. The same well that once extracted fossil fuels is now tapping the Earth's clean heat. The transition is poetic: the tools of the past are being used to build the future. The abandoned well is no longer a liability; it's an asset. The future of Texas energy is not just oil; it's geothermal, and it's already underground. 




  
 
A 5+ minute video, Hiccups, here.

 
Just because ...

Red shoulder hawk

Sunday's Smiles ... 




 









Hoping you feel all the good things in your day.


  


 

 

 

4 comments:

elenor said...

Jacki, your collages are always special.
What a lovely pic of you and your dear friend Irene. It's such a gift to have a such a dear friend.
Tomorrow I'll meet my dear friend. We have been knowing each other for 65 (!!!) years now, so nearly most of our life. After our own school days together , studying in different towns we were teaching at the same school until retirement and our children are the same age. Now we both are grandmothers. I can't imagine anything better than having her as my best friend.
Have a good week ahead!

Cheryl said...

yes, long-time friends are very special!

jacki long said...

Thanks you, Elenoe, the Makes me so happy for you to have such a long term friend where their children are also close to you and yours. Especially as we are older I think we are more aware of this. Thank you dear friend.

jacki long said...

Yes, your Mom and I have been best friends for fifty years! You and Erin will get there too! Thanks again, Cheryl. ;o)