Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Day 2497: Last day at the house on the hill.






Cacti & Palms: collage, photo & digital.











Want music?

 




Click here for Al Green,  Beautiful.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?







Last day at the house on the hill.
Again, up at 6:30 to find the sun had resurfaced.



Big change from yesterday's grey day, even though I love the rain.



The sky was so blue and the plants washed clean and green.


























The grand-dogs were happy too.
Plus, their family was coming home later.

Zoey
Laker and I

























Laker and I watched Zoey do "donuts" for ten minutes,
but on the patio area instead of the still wet grass.


Both dogs checked on the dogs down the hill.
Then Zoey started nagging Laker to play.




She did get him moving, for a while. 
When he does run, he is amazing.





I won't be there for today's sunset, but it will be a good one!








Only Child
by Billy Collins
 
I never wished for a sibling, boy or girl.
Center of the universe,
I had the back of my parents' car
all to myself. I could look out one window
then slide over to the other window
without any quibbling over territorial rights,
and whenever I played a game
on the floor of my bedroom, it was always my turn.
Not until my parents entered their 90s
did I long for a sister, a nurse I named Mary,
who worked in a hospital
five minutes away from their house
and who would drop everything,
even a thermometer, whenever I called.
“Be there in a jiff” and “On my way!”
were two of her favorite expressions, and mine.
And now that the parents are dead,
I wish I could meet Mary for coffee
every now and then at that Italian place
with the blue awning where we would sit
and reminisce, even on rainy days.
I would gaze into her green eyes
and see my parents, my mother looking out
of Mary's right eye and my father staring out of her left,
which would remind me of what an odd duck
I was as a child, a little prince and a loner,
who would break off from his gang of friends
on a Saturday and find a hedge to hide behind.
And I would tell Mary about all that, too,
and never embarrass her by asking about
her nonexistence, and maybe we
would have another espresso and a pastry
and I would always pay the bill and walk her home.
 


Thanks to Carol Mulvenon, and her terrific blog here.








A smile for Tuesday ...




No comments: