Friday, June 8, 2018

Day 2143: ... one that is a guy.







step 4: ink, watercolor & junk mail collage











Want music?

 




Click here for Luther Vandross, Anyone who had a heart ...
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?











My friend and Seattle artist, John Arbuckle said 
"I always love your portraits and then you do one 
that is a guy. I jump for joy because I know 
how much harder they are for you and, of course, 
it is a total success."



step 1




John is being kind, but a compliment from him motivates me.



step 2


Initially I use an ink brush to draw (step 1), 
followed by watercolor for skin tone (step 2).


step 3

Adding a wide Copic marker for the background (step 3).


step 4


Finishing with junk mail collage to enhance some areas (step 4).










Wow, great mail today from Japan!
 



I couldn't imagine what was inside.
The museum name rang a bell, but what was this?





Inside, a 207 page book and my memory was jogged.
In 2016, I believe "Dosanko Debbie"
a wonderful Japanese etegami artist, asked if I might 
want to send mail art to a museum in Japan 
for a upcoming exhibit? I said, yes please, and did.
And then I forgot about it.

 



Accompanying the book is a letter ...




Basically thanking and explaining that the project took 2 years.
That funds from the book & mail items will be donated 
to the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake-struck areas.
And that not all of the mail art was included in the book.





Let me know if you want an order form, 
I can e-mail a pdf form to you (jlonginc@gmail.com)
The wrap around book cover has many of the art works on exhibit 








To be honest, I don't remember what I sent? 
I think I sent 2?  I think they were postcard size? 
I looked through the book, even using a magnifying glass,
 to see if I could recognize anything, and I didn't.
Kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack, 
and you don't know what a needle looks like?





I am listed as a contributor, along with about 350 artists 
from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, 
Canada, Chile, Columbia, Croatia, Czech Republic, 
Denmark, England, Estonia,Finland, France, Germany, 
Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia,Ireland, Italy, Japan, 
Macedonia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, 
Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland,
Turkey, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Uruguay, & USA.
A nice surprise!










A smile for Friday ...








No comments: