Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Day 3136: A Birthday Party & Drone lets Disabled Bird Fly.

"Visible": junk paper collage


                                                                       
  

Want music?



 Click: Jackson 5, Enjoy Yourself.




2GN2S

Last week I was honored to be invited to a family birthday party. Carole, my good, good friend and Mom of the birthday celebrants and siblings picked me up and we were off to Mama Mia's in Corona. It was Cheryls birthday, but had been her brother, Kevin's a week earlier. Their older brother and sister, Greg and Lisa met us there, so we were six total.

(L-R) Carole, Cheryl, Greg, Lisa, me, Kevin.

Lately I have been hand drawing birthday cards for people I think might like it, it takes longer than buying a card, but it helps me use up some supplies, and if they like it, win-win. I thought I might share them with you? I had trouble knowing what to post tonight, this is it. 

4x9" card/envelope

Lisa and Greg have birthday's next month, so I will try to make a card for them as well. Not for everybody, as they aren't realistic, but they usually have some sort of identifying characteristic. 


     

He built a way for his bird to fly again.

In Davao City, Philippines, bird owner Marc Joseph Colando built a custom transparent cabin beneath a drone so his injured lovebird, Nitya, could experience flying again.
Nitya had been badly hurt in a cat attack in 2025, leaving her unable to stand, walk, or land properly. She could still manage short, low flights, but nothing like before. So Marc built her a lightweight, ventilated cabin and securely attached it beneath a DJI drone.
On April 13, 2026, Nitya took her first assisted flight.
Since then, she has spent 10 to 15 minutes in the air almost every day, soaring above fields and parks while chirping from her tiny cabin.
One bird. One drone. One owner who refused to let an injury take away her sky.





  
 
A 5+ minute video, Blanket, here.
 
 
Just because ...

Orange-bellied Trogon


Wednesday's Smiles ... 










Hoping you see all the good things in your day.


  


 

 

  

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you for making our birthdays so special! I love my personalized card so much! I also love my bracelets! We all love you so much- you are family to us.
I love the bird story. So cool! Imagine seeing that flying through the sky...

jacki long said...

Thanks Cheryl, it was such a special day to have you all together, felt so good. Please have a safe trip and give Gianna a big hug from us. Thanks again.

elenor said...

What a blessing to have such dear friends. Your birthday cards are really special. Lately I also thought about writing more cards by hand than just sending good wishes via phone. I think everybody loves receiving a nice letter more than a short text message.
The pros and cons got me thinking ....
Jacki, thanks for your lovely blog.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor, Yes, I enjoy making the cards and they seem to be enjoyed, so I guess I will continue when I can. I love your collage cards, I have mine on the wall by my computer.