Want music?
Click: De Barge, After the Dance.
2GN2S
I found a picture of Cousin Juanita Halfaker, and thought you might like to meet her? She was a traditionally built woman, as the Africans say, and proud of it. I am not sure if she was my Mom's Aunt or Cousin, but definitely family and far back as I can remember. She had the biggest hugs and there was no escape until she was done. We loved it. I always forgot how strong she was until I got a hug. She was a farm lady, smart, self sufficient, proud with a wonderful sense of humor. I remember thinking she had eagle eyes that didn't miss anything and could judge character on the spot. But they were kind and happy eyes. Though not shown in this, my only photo, she smiled a lot. I can still hear her laugh, it was unashamedly loud and the kind that made whoever heard it laugh. I think you can tell I loved her, and she was well loved by the family and so many others..
Her only trip to California was for WW's wedding in 1995, and she loved every minute. We miss her still.
Switzerland helped eliminate rabies by turning wild foxes into unwitting participants in a vaccination campaign.In 1978, Swiss scientists launched the world’s first successful field trial of oral rabies vaccination for wild foxes. Instead of relying on widespread culling, they placed vaccines inside food that foxes would naturally seek out.The earliest baits were surprisingly simple: chicken heads containing a small vaccine capsule. As foxes ate them, they were immunized against rabies. Later campaigns used specially manufactured baits that could be distributed more efficiently.The strategy worked by building immunity across the fox population, making it increasingly difficult for the virus to spread. But success was not immediate. Rabies returned in some areas during the 1990s, requiring intensified vaccination and improved distribution.By the end of the campaign, Switzerland had distributed approximately 2.8 million vaccine baits. Its last endemic rabies case was recorded on December 21, 1996, and the country was officially recognized as rabies-free at the beginning of 1999.The approach remains important today. In the United States, the USDA distributes approximately 6.5 million oral rabies vaccine baits annually in selected states to help contain raccoon rabies. Some are coated with fishmeal, while others contain the vaccine inside small fishmeal-based blocks.It is a remarkable example of disease prevention built around animal behavior: rather than trying to eliminate the wildlife carrying the virus, scientists found a way to protect it—and, in turn, protect people and domestic animals.





1 comment:
I would love a hug from Cousin Juanita! Some people are such good huggers. I think it's a talent that some people are just born with.
Post a Comment