Thursday, October 17, 2024

Day 4435: Short Story, Superman, Ken Shimizu, TBT.


"Struggle": junk collage.




  

Want music?


    

           Click : Corine Bailey Rae, Call Me When You Get This


  

 

 
2GN2S



Another memory,  a very short story ...






We were married in 1962, before our senior year in college.

We rented the upstairs apartment in Mom Hunt's house. She was my husband's fraternity house-mother. We thought she was ancient at the time, but now I realize she was probably younger than my age now.



In October, during the Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis

I had a really difficult kinesiology final exam to go to, but...was immobilized by the very real threat of war in the news.


Mom Hunt came in to find me sitting in the stairway. I was deciding whether to go or not, and going was not was winning. She asked if I was okay? I said yes, but she knew better. I explained that I didn't see any reason to go to the test, as everything seemed so hopeless, so doomed.


She sat beside me, patted my knee and gave some words of advice, the one's I still remember ..."Oh Honey, life goes on. Go take that test." I did.











Superman had a birthday on the 15th, and GH#2 flew in 
Monday to be there for the celebration.

Jordan (GH#1), Jason (honorary GH),Bassel (Superman), Zack (GH#3), Jake (GH#2)

Jake, Jason, Jordan, Raquel (aka Jordan's fiance, "Rocky"), Zack.



       















This photo was taken in 1946.  The guy is Ken Shimizu.  He is 35 years old with two children.  Shimizu never runs, sleeps late, eats whatever he wants, even drink beer instead of water.  He eats dinner with many kinds of food every night. What does Shimizu do to get such a body?  Shimizu doesn't have any secrets. Shimizu is the person sitting in the bottom left corner of the photo.  As for the man standing in the middle, I'm not sure who that is.....




Throwback  Thursday ...


In 1984, the film Karate Kid was released. There are many stories behind this project, but one of them is a story of mutual humility. The original role of Miyagi was offered to the 9th Dan (at the time) of Shito-Ryu Karate, Sensei Fumio Demura, who turned down the role because he said he was unprepared as an actor and didn't want to ruin the film. They then offered it to Pat Morita, an actor but not a karateka, who would accept the project, but only if Demura Sensei performed the scenes where Karate was demonstrated. He wasn't willing to show less of a martial art that takes a lifetime to develop. Thus, a friendship and a duo were born that complemented each other to develop the classic we know today, and were life time friends.


Pat Morita, Fumio Demura Sensei.






 

  
 
A 2+  minute video, Skeletons, here
 
 
 

  
 
Just because ...

Sclater's Crowned-Pigeon

  


 

Thursday's Smiles ...  



 



  


  



   




   



   

 
 
 


 



2 comments:

elenor said...

Jacki, I'm sure you were missed at the birthday party. Best wishes to superman.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. Getting the pictures was special, I could feel their joy.