Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 5: On "Day One" of this fledgling blog ...


On "Day One" of this fledgling blog I took a picture of the survivor orchid blooming in my yard. Today I looked out, and there are now three orchids. A family of survivors. I have taken their picture.


Years ago I used to buy orphaned plants at the grocery store for a quarter and take them home. Do they still sell them like that? I don't go to the grocery store as much anymore. Anyway, I would just find a spot in the yard where they would be watered and then they were on their own. Most of the time, they would go from the scrawny things I brought home, to thriving plants. One is now a tree. It wasn't that I had any magical touch, but it seemed that just being given a second chance did the trick? There's a moral in there somewhere.



I started today with a message from a favorite former student, Gaby. She is a beautiful, accomplished young lady who wrote to say she identified with my post on my proficiency in procrastination. When you put it like that, it almost seems like a skill? She has a high-powered job after a bachelor, master and doctoral scholastic career. This "blog-thing" may be alright when it results in my hearing from such special people. Thank you blog world.

I am going to try to post one of my pieces of artwork each day, just to give them a second chance? Sometimes we all need a second chance? This is a small collage, titled "rough".


3 comments:

ESJ said...

Gaby? You mean "The Gaber"?! Oh boy...

Anyhow, the additional blossoms are a positive sign! :) keep up the wonderful work!

ESJ

Unknown said...

I think this is my favorite blog post :) so inspiring! I may have to give college another shot.

jacki long said...

Thanks so much, Kelly. I am glad you like this post. I do too. This was one of those days when it all just fell into place, and felt right.

As you know, I am very proud of you and your being at USC business school, which, like you, is the best! You deserve to be there and it is going to be great, you'll see.