Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Day 2596: Crossing t's and doting i's.






Sherman Gardens, Costa Mesa, CA: photography









Want music?

 




Click here for  Erik Satie, Gymnopedies.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









2GN2S: In case you didn't see it, I thought I'd mention:

US Open ’19: Top-Seed Osaka Shares Emotional And Classy Moment With Coco Gauff After Teen’s Loss

 

NEW YORK (AP) — Naomi Osaka looked across the net after ending Coco Gauff’s U.S. Open in the third round Saturday night and saw the tears welling in the 15-year-old’s eyes. Osaka also 
saw a bit of herself in the kid she’d just beaten 6-3, 6-0.
So the tournament’s defending champion and No. 1 seed, who is only 21 herself, comforted Gauff with a hug and words of consolation, then encouraged her to address the 23,000 or so folks in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands who were pulling for the young American. Knowing how tough it is to lose, Osaka told her: 
“You need to let those people know how you feel.”

CoCo Gauff of the United States and Naomi Osaka of Japan speak following their Women’s Singles third round match on day six of the 2019 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King Tennis Center on August 31, 2019. (Photo:Clive Brunskill.


So Gauff obliged, a rare instance of a match’s loser addressing the crowd from the court. And was appreciative of Osaka’s gesture.
“She just proved that she’s a true athlete. For me, the definition of an athlete is someone who on the court treats you like your worst enemy, but off the court can be your best friend,” Gauff said later at her news conference. “I think that’s what she did tonight.”
Osaka’s advantages in age and accomplishments,
“For me, this is the most focused I’ve been since Australia,” 
said Osaka, who’s had an up-and-down season  and is wearing a black sleeve on the left knee that’s been problematic lately.





When it ended, after merely 65 minutes, Gauff began to bawl on the sideline. Osaka approached her and they spoke, briefly, 
then later cried, too, while addressing Gauff’s parents on-court.
“For me, it’s crazy to me to see how far she’s come in such a little amount of time,” said Osaka, who was born in Japan and moved to the U.S. when she was 3. Both players are based in Florida now and  known each other for a few years. 
Their fathers are friends.
“She was crying; she won. I was crying. Everybody was crying,” Gauff said.




Osaka asking Gauff to join her with the microphone as they met at the net. “It was kind of instinctive because when I shook her hand, I saw that she was kind of tearing up a little. Then it reminded me how young she was,” Osaka said. “I wanted her to have her head high, not walk off the court sad. I want her to, like, be aware that she’s accomplished so much and she’s still so young.”




Osaka lost her match Monday against 13th-seeded Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, and joins Gauff, out of contention this year.




A great moment of caring and sportsmanship!
4 minute special video: click here.
Well worth your time, when you can?








Crossing t's and doting i's.





Time is moving fast around here. 
Lists, errands, laundry, packing, rechecking?
I am up to 97% of all waking thoughts focused on the trip.
Today, Julie trimmed my hair. I saw Valerie at ASW and she 
asked about the weather, so now I know that. Looks good?




I recycled 5 trash bags of water bottles at OCC 
Recycling Center in Costa Mesa, on the way home and made $13.16 which paid for lunch and some of the grocery bill. 
I filled up on gas at $3.65 @ gallon for my sweet car.
By the way, did you see the price-gouging going on in the news?


shameful!

A stop at the PO for a Form #8076, Authorization to hold mail.
And so it goes on, new details keep surfacing. 



I leave LAX this Friday, September 6th at 2:55 pm.
We arrive in Paris at 10:40 am, go through customs,
then leave at 1:05 pm and arrive in Marseille at 3:35pm.
This is probably "TMI", but it kinda helps me?












A smile for Wednesday ...









3 comments:

Bea said...

I am enjoying the details because I’m going through exactly the same thing. We leave for Iceland tomorrow. I look forward to your posts and I’ll send you a few pictures...

Mary McKay Schaffer said...

You SO deserve this treat. Take care too!D

john said...

These flowers and your magic make this image extra special. Lovely! I can’t believe the price of gas! We are at $2.89 a gallon here right now.