| "Jeri": china marker drawing, watercolor, junk paper collage |
Want music?
Click: Etta James, At Last
2GN2S
In 2022 Grandhunk #1, Jordan drove us to Nevada, on the way on Highway 15, we passed a road sign that said ZZYZX ...
I had seen a story on Huell Hower's California Gold, so I remembered that it had a population of 1. But, GH#1 and I had a debate about how the name would score in Scrabble?
For the record, it's 42 points in Scrabble, but we decided there probably aren't 3 -Z's to begin with? So I looked it up, and the Scrabble tile letter distribution is as follows: A-9, B-2, C-2, D-4, E-12, F-2, G-3, H-2, I-9, J-1, K-1, L-4, M-2, N-6, O-8, P-2, Q-1, R-6, S-4, T-6, U-4, V-2, W-2, X-1, Y-2, Z-1 and Blanks-2. And now we know. TMI?
Rice-fish Farming
Across Indonesia, many rice farmers have transformed flooded paddy fields into productive ecosystems by raising fish alongside their rice crops. This traditional farming method, known as rice–fish culture, allows farmers to produce two valuable food sources from the same land. The fish live among the rice plants, where they naturally feed on insects, algae, weeds, and other organisms that can damage crops. Their constant movement through the shallow water also helps create a healthier growing environment for the rice.
As the fish grow, their waste releases nutrients back into the water and soil, improving fertility and reducing the need for synthetic fertilizers. At harvest time, farmers collect both rice and fish, creating an additional source of food and income.
Research has shown that well-managed rice–fish farming can improve land productivity, increase biodiversity, and support more sustainable agriculture. In some farming systems, productivity has increased by around 20% or more, demonstrating how working with nature can benefit both farmers and the environment.





No comments:
Post a Comment