Saturday, February 23, 2019

Day 2403: Don't point!






Teddy: old photo, collages & digital.









Want music?

 




Click here for Al Green, Simply Beautiful.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









 
In my 32 years teaching 
at Demura Sensei's Costa Mesa Dojo, 
we emphasized manners.  
One was not to point. 
But rather use 
an open hand to direct the attention. 
In refereeing, the only time we point 
is for an infraction. 
And, to many cultures, 
it is an offensive or aggressive action. 
This became natural for some students.

One day, Luisa, a parent, 
said I have a story you're going to love.
She said after Michael had gone to bed, 
his Dad needed to know 
where something was. 
He went into Michael's room and asked.
Michael, and without opening his eyes,
 gestured with an open hand to the location. 
 She was right, I loved it!

Without manners, Karate loses it's soul.












Several years ago, I met "Rad Nana" on Facebook, 
she follows my blog as Lynn from Colorado. 
Over the years we have gotten to know one another, 
enough that I know Lynn misses the Pacific Ocean.
She mentioned it once when I has some beach photos.
That started my "Pacific Check" for Lynn in Colorado.
I let her know it's still here. So today when I drove
to San Clemente to meet dear friends Denise & John,
I knew I would do a "Pacific Check" .





Driving down the hills were so green, 
we've been brown for so long.
The sky was a perfect blue, hardly a cloud in sight.
Colder than usual, but clear and beautiful.


Pacific check.






We ate at Nick's downtown, 





and I had the best meal I've had in like forever. 
A petite filet mignon served on petite garlic toast with tomatoes, 
 a kale slaw salad and a cup of clam chowder. Wow! 
Denise had Fish and Chips, John had a blackened fish sandwich. 
We all agreed Nick's 4.8 rating was well deserved. 
No, I didn't take photos. I guess that tell you that the company 
and food were so good, I didn't even think to take pictures?
Thank you Denise and John for a wonderful afternoon.










A smile for Saturday ...




No comments: