Saturday, March 9, 2019

Day 2417: Dad and The Last Dojo.






Sensei: digital photo












Want music?

 




Click here for Yo-Yo Ma, Japanese Melodies
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?








A Short Dad Story.

Dad didn't understand Karate. But he liked the self defense part.
But, in his mind, it was like training to be a plumber.
You studied and when you knew enough, you were a plumber. 

When I earned my black belt in 1979, 
my Dad asked why I continued to train, wasn't I done? 
I explained that I was just a beginner and would never be done. 
So the fact that I still go to class twice a week after 47 years
to learn, he would probably equate with a very slow learner.







I think there may be four types who visit this little blog.
People who enjoy art and art techniques etc.
People who like the family stories, Dad stories especially.
People who are interested in Karate and Demura Sensei especially.
And, people who visit for the daily smile & maybe skip the rest? 

Some have asked for more about Karate and Demura Sensei.
So a film directed by dear friend, William Christopher Ford,  
(Sensei at his own Kaizen Dojo in Torrance) and 
his collaborators, have made a stunning short film,  
The Last Dojo.



 
After many months of hard work and dedication, 
the Skycraft Studios team is proud to officially announce 
the release of our short documentary film “The Last Dojo”. 
This film is an introspective look into the final days 
of Sensei Fumio Demura’s legendary dojo 
based in Santa Ana, CA. His dojo, which stood the test 
of time for nearly 50 years, was home to some 
of the worlds most prominent martial artists. 





 You can purchase this 20 minute film at thelastdojo.com. @vimeo 
For a mere $1.99, it is yours forever.
If you do purchase the movie, Skycraft Studios asks that 
you give them feedback by commenting on their site here
I did and share it below.

"As I have told you in person, I loved your film. 
It captures our love of Demura Sensei and our rickety old dojo. 
It probably wouldn't have passed code on anything, 
but we loved it. 
 The film also captured the traditions and the way Sensei 
has taught and continues to teach, to this day.
We are now in a new dojo, and Sensei brought the shinzen 
from the old dojo to our new dojo. 
When we watch your film, we ache for the old honbu dojo.
Thank you all for your sensitivity in filming, it is wonderful. 
A time capsule for us and the future generations."






I think you will enjoy it.











A smile for Saturday ...





No comments: