Monday, July 2, 2018

Day 2167: ... enough for me now.






Way 2 much: acrylic & junk mail collage on canvas














Want music?

 




Click here for Al Green, Simply Beautiful.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









The cover art above is well titled, "way 2 much"!
It's perfect example of not knowing when to stop.
So, here I am exposing warts and all, as a public service.




Armed with an industrial supply of tissue & junk mail, I was off.









It's kind of amazing that you can work away not 
seeing that you've gone two miles past and not realize? 
And, keep going?
All instructors will tell you, we often get asked ... 
how do you know when it's done?

 

a section, almost done.


I thought there were sections that worked, but not the whole.
Ultimately unhappy with the outcome, I took it to one of
my classes as an example of overworking.


final


One of my favorite students, Connie, liked it!
So I sent it home with her. She said her son liked it too.
A happy ending.










Thoughts/possibly TMI?



100 years ago, I taught Karate for 33 years & I stressed manners.
The beauty of integrity and doing what is right and mindful.
A brown belt, Yvonne, asked me if there is a book about manners.
Jokingly I said "no, but I'll write one."
I haven't, but still think I might?
Tonight I found some notes, that I will share.

. . .
 
In olden days there were only white belts (obi),
Their function was to keep the gi jacket closed.
The obi was constructed from layers of folded cotton, 
tightly stitched in multiple close lines so as to be strong.
Because of this layering it was not washed to prevent shrinkage. The gi, of course was washed, but not the obi.


In time, years & years, the obi became soiled, dirty, dark ...
maybe black form years of practice. Kuro obi. (black belt)
Years later, brown belts, signifying approaching kuro obi.
Later than that came the colors, stripes, levels, titles & ego.
Each style using each as they thought best.

I have five kuro obi, black belts. 
If that seems impressive, it isn't.
3 that I earned & 2 were special gifts.
The three I earned took time, a long time. 47 years.
And the tremendous patience of Demura Sensei,
 my Senpai (seniors) and also my students.



Now at an age that I never expected to be, I still train.
Not impressive or showy. Not with speed & flexibility.
Not as well as I would like, but I am still there.
And that is enough for me now.











A smile for Monday ...









No comments: