Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 178: Lucky me, again.

.

As I have mentioned, I am blessed.



                                   One of those blessings is good friends.





Today, Emi & Eric invited me to Montebello,


Emi and her koto Sensei

and the Okinawa Association New Years Party.




Buyo (Classical Boy's Dance)















Over 600 enjoyed a 5-1/2 hour celebration of the Okinawa arts.




















After awards, seventeen performances, including sanchin ...


Tatsuo Aragaki


















Traditional Dance, Hula, Karate demonstration ...







         The 
youngest
and
 cutest 
"sanshin"
 performer 
of the day.








Karaoke, Instrumental Music, Minyo folk music, Taiko ...


Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko,  Los Angeles



And, I got to meet and be with Eric's family ...
and almost everyone got up for the Kachaashi Dance.
Uncle Bob


Auntie Rose





















At the end of the day, the entire room made a circle
to sing Bashofu, a love song to the Okinawa homeland.
What a lovely day.
Thank you Emi and Eric!


And, yes, I am a snake.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was our pleasure to share a little okinawan culture with you. Glad you enjoyed it!

jacki long said...

Thank you Emi and Eric ... it was a terrific day, and I thank you for commenting. I don't get comments often, and it makes me so happy. Also, I made the corrections and thank you for that too! You are so special to me. ;o)