Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 22: I used to be a potter.


Eons ago, after ten years of teaching, we had a baby girl.  I became a stay at home mom.  That was so hard.  I started doing ceramics in my garage during nap-time and at night.  This grew into a small business, Superslop!




I had sales twice a year.  By invitation only.  Amazing to me now, but it worked.




After being in a craft show in LA, I began to sell to a few decorators and two department stores.
Over the years I have lost some of the product line photos, but have found the faces line to show.




Primarily unglazed, high-fired stoneware slabs and thrown shapes.  Some had iron oxide and or porcelain.  Decorators favored the wall planters. The roping probably gives away the age?



I always said I just played with the clay and the faces appeared. 


     

Two of my favorites were Laurel and Hardy. 



I still have Laurel, why someone separated them I don't know.



Laurel's holding up pretty well after all these years,  I hope the same for Hardy.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get back into it? Have a private group of karate people working with clay?

-mysterious 1st kyu

Marilyn said...

Jacki, you are a woman of many talents!! I remember seeing a couple of these in your patio area.

jacki long said...

Oh, mysterious 1sy kyu?
... a hint, initials, or something so I know who to thank for visiting the blog?

Back into clay? in our spare time? Hard to imagine, that was a very long time ago.;o)

jacki long said...


Thanks Marilyn, it was sooo long ago. Fun to look at the photos and remember the hours spent. Erin said she remembers watching me work. ;o)

Thanks for checking on me! Please come again?