Thursday, October 8, 2020

Day 2995: Disclaimer.: Oh what a day!

 

 


 

 

 



Want music?




Click here for  Ryan Toby, Oh Happy Day.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?



 

Disclaimer.

Many days of the 2995 posts so far, have been about what I did or saw that day. And, by the numbers, more people seemed to like those days. So here is one of those.

This is going to be heavy on details, as that is how it happened. I had a 1 pm appointment for a MRI on my right shoulder. I got there a little early, stood in line on safe distance floor stickers. When I was checked in, I found out I had a $215. co-pay. Wow! 

 


I was sent to the imaging department with a clipboard, questionaire and wristband. As soon as I sat down, a nice man named John called Jacquelyn and I responded. We went down a long hall into another building, he weighed and measured my height (or the lack of it). He looked at my record and realized I was there for a MRI and he did bone density tests. He checked my chart, and evidently there was another Jacqueline in the waiting room? I thanked John, and returned to the imaging waiting room. John said Tim would be coming for me. I brought a book, so I got another chapter done before Tim called me.

Still another nice young man took me to the MRI department, and after discarding everything and wearing 2 hospital gowns, each facing the opposite way, I was ready. A huge round-shaped thing awaited. 

 
A pillow was put under the sheet below my head and knee. Tim put 
in solid cone in each ear. I was given a round ball to squeeze if anything went wrong while I was inside the machine. I am claustrophobic, but I said to myself, I can do this.  Last step was a fur lined football-helmet-like thing, he slid onto my right shoulder.  It felt good on my poor shoulder.  He told me it would take 15 minutes. What could take 15 minutes? Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses a large magnet and radio waves to look at organs and structures inside your body.  
 
 
Tim allowed me to take a picture of the image of my shoulder, after.
What I didn't expect was the noise. I counted 9 different sounds, repeated each time they moved the bed table. One sounded like a warning sound when a truck backs up, another sounded like a stapling gun, repeating, another sounded like a jackhammer, and so on. I visually measured the space between my face and the wall as 2-3 inches. The sounds were loud and syncopated, thank goodness for the cones. I realized that my breathing was shallow, so I started breathing 4 in and 6 out sequence. I might as well get my breathing done while in isolation. It seemed longer than fifteen minutes, but it was doable. 
I kept wondering how young kids or more fragile elderly cope?
 

I'm smiling, it's over.
 
I told Tim I was going to do a blog about the MRI experience, so he took a photo after. And, I took one of him, but I can't explain what went wrong? Maybe I'll blame it on the MRI?



   Last phase, I got a flu shot on the way out. 
While there I watched a little 4 year old boy 
try to be brave getting his shot. 
He sat on his Mom's lap as they tried to distract him. 
He turned and saw the needle then exercised his lungs, 
but the shot was over. He didn't believe them 
and cried all through the band-aid application. 4!
  
 
 
 
Just because ...
 
 

 Barred EagleOwl


 
 
Throwback Thursday ... 




Young WonderWoman, Old Honbu Dojo, 1978.
 
                                                                       

 



Smiles for Thursday ...
 
 


 



 
 

 


 
 
 
 

 


 
 
 
 

 



                                                                         Thanks for stopping by.

 

 

 


6 comments:

john said...

You are so right about the noise that a MRI machine makes. It is so difficult to remain still. I am glad that is over for you. Now onto the next phase of your shoulder issue. I love the colors that you used in your latest piece above. Just grand choices! :-)

Sam Zimmerman said...

The one time I had an MRI, it was on my wrist and took 45 minutes! Since it was so far from my head, they gave me headphones and asked what kind of music I wanted to listen to. I picked classic rock, but fell asleep ten minutes into the procedure. It was a nice, morning nap!

My friend had to get one on her head, though, and it took them almost two hours. No music, just two hours of keeping completely still. That would be terrible! I'll take my experience- I think I was pretty lucky!

Hopefully yours comes back informative :-)

Betty Cotton said...

Jacki - MRI's. tell an important story! But...going thru one is courageous! Had a few of these the two times I battled cancer....hardest part for me was not so much the noise...though not pleasant at all...but keeping still and not coughing! Seemed like an eternity. Also the needle the insert in your arm for the dye contrast...also very unpleasant! But...here is the positive side...the report gives an accounting...important for treatment specs! Love "Silhouette 20" - I'm big on color combos and love this one...the golden background with the black dress and added red Washi type detail is striking! Also, the pearls, pin and flesh coloring amazing! Another winner! Stay well...

jacki long said...

Thank you John, to keep myself I occupied during the MRI, I wrote the blog in my head? My Granhunk #3 had had one and they offered him headphones?

jacki long said...

Thanks so much for responding. Wow, Sam! 45 minutes and 2 hours would be interminable? I am definitely a rookie!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Betty, I didn't have the injection and dye. I guess the helmet thing must have taken care of what they need to see on my shoulder area? I am glad you are healthy now, with your great family. Please take good care.