Monday, May 18, 2020

Day 2852: Donut time?





"Taikomochi": old photo, collage & digital.








Want music?

 




Click here for Jo Hisaishi, Merry-Go-Round.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?





Today update:
 

Today, Carole and I were texting back and forth. 
I mentioned that WonderWoman and Superman had brought 
me sour cream donuts in the groceries delivered yesterday.


They are so good I cut them into quarters in order
to ration, but up end up eating two or more.
Carol asked my favorite kind? In a nano-second, I responded



Krispy Kreme!  I said it came the closest to the donuts from 
Helms bakery. They used to have little trucks that drove around 


neighborhoods with a whistle. We were trained like Pavlov's dogs and came running. The driver, who wore a uniform and hat, would stop for us, then walk around to the back, open double doors and pull out tray after tray with delicious donuts, cakes, and goodies.


Then I looked at my newest issue of Spoon & Tamago
they had this feature that I'll share.

Koe Donuts in Kyoto, Japan.




The beautiful Koe Donuts, which opened in Kyoto in March.




Koe Donuts with an emphasis on organic, natural and local, has  a scrumptious line-up of donuts that are decadent but also brimming with the original flavors of their simple ingredients: flour, milk, eggs, sugar, and cooking oil. 

a selection of regular donuts that range from 200 – 350 yen

The milk and eggs are sourced locally and the flour is made in-house each morning in their “powder factory” which can be observed through the glass-separated open kitchen.




With an emphasis on design, the shop brings together the architectural talents of Kengo Kuma, the artistic direction of Shun Kawakami and the illustration work of Yu Nagaba. For the interior, Kengo Kumo sourced local bamboo to create over 550 traditional bamboo-woven baskets that create a warm dome within the space and balance the minimal concrete walls.





one of their signature pieces is the donut melt (850 yen)


Operated by Stripe International, Koe Donuts 
is the latest venture under the Koe brand, 
which includes the Koe Hotel that opened last year in Tokyo. 
Meaning “voice” in Japanese, the Koe brand is meant to 
create a link between Japanese culture in fashion, urban design 
and food to project that voice into the world in various forms.






Just because ...


by Tanya Stankovska




Smiles for Monday ...
























7 comments:

john said...

I love Taikomochi. Everything about it just makes the composition. The junk mail you chose. The colors. The focal point. Everything! :-)

jacki long said...

Thank so much John, it is part of the geisha series.

Carrol Wolf said...

I totally remember those Helm's Trucks. My mom was like your dad: really frugal. So we didn't get them often.

Actually one of the foods that I can totally due without is donuts. (There are so many others that I splurge calories on , so no problem here.).

I totally loved the Koe Donut segment. The photo of the women in their bright colored close sitting with their backs to us and the beautiful kitchen beyond was my fav. The baskets on the ceiling were delightful and such a beautiful contrast to the "hard and impervious surfaces" below. I don't know whether our codes here in the USA would allow something like that because of health issues: not cleanable and could let dust, etc down on customers. (Although, f we never get to go into stores again, that may be a moot point. Anyway thank you for a great start to the day: real eye candy and no calories.

Carrol Wolf said...

Oh I forgot one thing. Have you been into any of the 85 Degrees Bakeries. They also have these beautiful trays of goodies, and I believe it has an Asian flair as the things are not nearly as sweet as most western dessert. When it is safe to go out again, I will meet you at one and show you my favorites.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Carrol! Yes, I have been to 85', and we have a fairly new one here in Tustin. I used to go to the one on Jamboree near the airport. I love their ricotta cheese roll. The first time I picked one up with the tongs, I squished it and wanted to put it back, but knew I shouldn't, When I put it tray it re-inflated! ;o)Also good, maybe better is Cream Pan in downtown Tustin. That's where the strawberry croissants came from, and Otsuki Pan is unbelievable. I haven't been to either place in over a year.

Betty Cotton said...

Jacki - Like John "Taikomochi"..design is fantastic! Oh...now you hit a hot button with me when it comes to "donuts".....these are really something...actually never heard of Koe Donuts...gonna look them up and up a location is not too far from me in Cypress! As for the bags, Koe brand bags, cups, hats, etc., I say wow! Looking at the "signature" strawberry donut would be my big weakness! Also, so enjoy the quote...woe the one about the 80's hit home...since Saturday I jump into them big time...81! Yikes!!! Thanks for filling our days with smiles and lots of "really good stuff!" Stay well....and you are blessed to have your daughter and her family bringing you so many goodies! Where did today's rain come from? Yesterday, was beautiful...Tom and I took a long walk at Cerritos Park!

jacki long said...

Thanks for visiting Betty, I love hearing from you. You will have to take a trip to Kyoto to get Koe donut, but Cream Pan in downtown TUSTIN IA ALSO REALLY GOOD. THE CHEF/BAKER WAS TRAINED IN JAPAN. They have delicious Strawberry Croissants that are so popular. Also, there is a Donutman in Gardena or Torrance, I bet he ships?
I think we needed the rain, cleared the dust, and today is beautiful so you and Tom will have a lovely walk. I have a zoom meeting at 9:30, good to see everyone.
Happy belated birthday, Betty, I bet we all wish we looked and accomplished what you do. You are an inspiration indeed!