Saturday, May 16, 2020

Day 2850: Information overload?





"Information overload?": junk mail collage.








Want music?

 




Click here for Kane Brown, Cool Again.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?






I was thinking today about some of my Dad stories.
There are a lot of them, I'll call this one ...
the reluctant barber.
At age 15, I returned from Australia to 
live with my Dad in his tiny house (here)
and start high school at John Marshall.

As mentioned earlier, Dad was thrifty, 
frugal, prudent, close-fisted & penny-pinching.
All of those!
And in fairness, he did grow up during the depression.
He was a single man after the divorce when I was 5.
So he didn't need much or have much.
Early on, Dad decided I could save him some money.
He bought a barber kit from Sears.


Dad & barber kit


I hated the idea, but that didn't matter,
he announced that I was his new barber.
I asked, what if I botch it up?
He said: "you'll learn."
What if I nick it and you have a bald spot?
He said, "it will grow back."
I did both of those, but he never minded, since it was free.
This went on for three years until I left for college.
But that wasn't the end of it.
Whenever we lived in the same proximity,
the reluctant barber was put back on duty.
This was true to the very end.






2GN2S: 


 
• A mesmerizing step-by-step drawing of an emerald ... here.

•  This is a 4-minute video  here of a peahen hatching chicks, but it's a reminder of how simply cool nature can be. Also, fun fact: A "peacock" only refers to males. The species is actually "peafowl." Females, like this prolific lady, are peahens and her babies are peachicks. Now you know!




• New York City has gone 58 days without a pedestrian fatality, as of Tuesday (here). The two-month span is the longest the city has ever gone since these records have been kept. Leaders say social distancing is the reason.
 




•      Segerstrom Center for the Arts invites you to celebrate Spring at its first virtual Spring Carnival on Sunday, May 17. Enjoy fun, food and crafts, all accessed virtually on scfta.org/springcarnival – from the comfort of your own home. And admission is FREE to the Center’s Spring Carnival.                                                        

                                                    


Smiles for Saturday ...


Saul Steinberg, “Country Noises,” from Steinberg at the New Yorker












 











4 comments:

Carrol Wolf said...

The emerald drawing was really fun to watch. Wow! Some people can really draw. Did you see all the different kinds of tools he used? And I thought I had a stash. Thank you for finding all of these gems: pun intended.

jacki long said...

Thanks so much Carrol! Yes, I enjoyed that video too, so much detail. As I watched, I kept thinking done. But he kept on and made it better and better. Glad you liked it too. Have a great weekend, hi to Stan too!

john said...

Turquoise, red, and black. So effective! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Have a great weekend.
Stay away from the crazies?