Monday, May 20, 2019

Day 2489: A quick Dad story.





4 kids: Old photos, collage & digital










Want music?

 




Click here for Charlie Puth, Done For Me.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?





A quick Dad story.
I lived with my Dad when I returned to the US in 1956.
I had always been in a Catholic girls schools and was shy.
Enrolled in John Marshall High School and didn't know a soul. 
I had a thick Australian accent, so when I spoke people looked. 
Mrs. Hovey, my algebra teacher, called on me in class.
I stood, we stood when called on in Australia.
When I spoke, every hear turned and I was beet red.
As I remember, all traces of the accent were gone in a week.
Amazing what you can do when motivated.

A year later I had been given a assignment to speak at an assembly, in front of the whole school. My Dad saw that I was worried and asked why. When I explained, he said I was already suffering and the time wasn't here yet. He said, a take off on Shakespeare's quote, "A coward dies a thousand times ...", and his version, a brave man dies just once. 
Somehow that made sense? And, I survived. 
Now, looking at it from this end, I think so often what we dread the most never happens, or is mild in comparison to the reality?







"Just in case you might be interested" department:





OPEN CALL: No Pressure
Drop off Entries: June 10 - June 16
Opening Reception: June 22 4-5pm
Show Dates: June 22 - August 3
OPEN CALL! Make art out of used spray paint cans. Instructions: Repurpose a used spray paint can. 
Paint, draw on it, create a sculpture, etc. (please emailcatalyst@artsupplywarehouse if sculpture is over 12" in depth or width to ensure there is space). 
Drop off entries June 10 - June 16 at Art Supply Warehouse. 
Limited to three entries per person.




Mail Art with Jacki Long
Thursdays May 23 &/or 30, 2019 -- 10AM - 1PM
Join Jacki Long for a month of creating mail art! Make cards, postcards, stamp art and more during this month long series. You will use a variety of media, acrylic, watercolor, collage, markers and more! All materials are provided.
REGISTRATION: $45 per session,  Skill Level: All, Ages: 15+
Limited seats are available for thisclasses, info and sign up today!




A smile for Monday ...




1 comment:

john said...

Such cute kids! I love your accent story. Good fatherly advice, too. :-)