Sunday, March 17, 2019

Day 2425: ... to make our own.




Kelley: ink, graphite, acrylic and collage.










Want music?

 




Click here for The Chieftains & James Galway, Roscommon.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?








If you saw yesterday's Day 2424 blog, here,
you know that Saturday was WonderWoman's birthday.



Last Wednesday's Day 2422 blog, here, mentioned our 
monthly Eastside meeting, a group of eight OC artists ...
who meet the second Wednesday of the month to ...
get together, have fun & do some art. 
Today we were six, greatly missing Erin and Libby.

.

Josie, Linda, Sherrill, Norma and jacki, taken by Jody.
Jody

This month is was Norma's turn to teach a project.
Norma, here, is a gourd artist, sold in museums & galleries.
We each had a gourd to make our own.



my gourd

I was inspired by one of Norma's gourd ...


by Norma Prickett

by Norma Prickett

by Norma Prickett

by Norma Prickett

I decided to make mine a gift for WonderWomen's birthday.
That's why I couldn't post this until today.


(note the wood burning tool warming up, upper right)


First step was a pencil drawing of my planned design.
 



I hoped to put WonderWoman, Superman and the three
 Grandhunks somehow connected? She's all about family.





The next step, after some practice on gourd scraps, was 
going over the pencil lines with the wood burning tool. 
It burns a 1/6" straight line so curves are problematic.



For me, this required patience, and a sometimes steadier hand.
 







Once the drawing lines have been burned into the gourd,
Norma had us to sign the bottom using the wood burning tool.
 
 
 




I decided the horizontal line & below would be blue for the ocean.




I chose light beige for the skin tone.






I liked the color of the gourd, and it's texture, so left it.




There was also some sanding with steel wool, conditioning the gourd with yellow stuff and sealing with some kind of spray, 
but I don't remember the correct order. 




This was about a five hour process. Later at home, 
I added polka dots in various colors to the bathing suits.
A handmade (with help) gift for WonderWoman.


&

*I apologize that I didn't get photos of Jody who made a 
stunning, two tone larger gourd, Josie carved beautiful flowers, Linda carved cute birds on a branch, Sherrill worked on her ceramics project, and thanks again Norma, you're terrific!










A smile for Sunday ...





No comments: