Friday, February 15, 2019

Day 2395: Rain and Bert's boots.






The blues: acrylic, junk mail collage and digital.










Want music?

 




Click here for  Rose Royce, I'm Wishing on a Star.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?










Rain, and more rain. A gift from the sky.
Past years in SoCal we have been in a drought, 
making me think rain was a thing from my memory.
We hadn't reached our needed rainfall in sometime.




Now we have passed it, with half a season to go. 
Today was the first of a four week class, Journal Journey.


Journal Journey Mixed Media Journaling
  Thursdays, February 14 - March 7, 2019 -- 10AM - 1PM
   REGISTRATION: $45 per class/$160 for the series, all supplies are provided. sign up today!


The news warned to allow extra time for travel, and I did.
Did you ever notice when you're expecting the worst, 
it rarely meets the projection? 
And, I thought my artists might not battle the pouring rain 
to come play in class. I was wrong again. Gladly.
We sat inside, with the rain beating outside and talked 
about so many things besides the journals we worked on. 
 
journal work by Linda, Ann, Susan, Valerie and Connie.

If you've never been in a class with Connie (above)
your life is not yet complete. She and the others make my day.
Three hours flew by in a relaxing way. A really fun day.
If you get a chance, please join us?








I really loved my Uncle Bert, all of my life & still.



I was an only child, and only around adults.
Bert was special, a fun grown-up!
Married to Bea, they were the Ken & Barbie of their day.


Bea & Bert
 
Bea was beautiful & my Dad's cousin from Indiana.
All had moved to SoCal about the same time.

Bea & me age2


Bert had been a Marine & had colorful language.
Bert would take me with him on errands, even to a ball game. 


me age 5 & Bert

I would have gone to the moon with him gladly, anytime.




Bert gave me a discarded baseball from one of the games.
He wrote "Bert + Jacki" on it.
I treasured that worn out ball with the faded writing forever.
I took it with me to boarding school at age 8
later to Australia, later on high school & college.
Some would ask who Bert was, I would smile & say "special."


Bert was a graduate of Wabash University, a mechanical engineer.

Bert (center) & crew at the brickyard

He returned to Indianapolis 500 several years as pit crew chief.
A beloved auto mechanics teacher at Van Nuys high school,
he would take his boys to national auto competitions for Ford.


1984

Bea & Bert were a special part of young WW's life too. 
In later years Bert was ill and moved to Indiana to be near family. 
Before they moved, I was given Bert's boots. 


 

I have been wearing Bert's boots during the past two days of rain.
Bea and Bert been gone a long time now, but I miss them still.
So grateful,  great memories last a long time.











A smile for Friday ...









No comments: