Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Day 2385: Mine just sits there.






Neonary: collage & digital









Want music?

 




Click here for L'indecis, Le Sud.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?








Do you know washi tape? Or, do you have washi tape?




Washi is a type of Japanese paper tape that is typically 
made from natural fibers like hemp or bamboo. 
Some varieties of washi are made using the mitsumata shrub 
or gampi tree, two plants native to Japan. 
Thanks to its durability and unique style, this beautiful tape 
has become a popular staple for all kinds of arts.
Acquired over the years, I have 94, I just counted.
I bet there are artists reading who have much more? 




My collection of 94 washi.
I didn't count masking tapes.




So when I saw "New Washi Tape Paintings by Nasa Funahara",
I knew it was too good not to share ...


Johannes Vermeer’s “Girl with a Pearl Earring” 
recreated in washi tape. The piece was part 
of a recent Vermeer Tribute Exhibition in Japan.
The Japanese artist Nasa Funahara’s obsession with washi
 tape began with the simple hobby of collecting. 
As you might know, Japanese washi tape 
comes in all sort of colors, patterns and designs. 
And at 200 - 300 yen  ($2 -$3) a pop, they’re pretty easy 
impulse purchases, especially with so much variety.


Utagawa Kuniyoshi’s depiction of a face comprised of human bodies, recreated in masking tape


It was in college when Nasa decided to use her masking tape 
as part of a class assignment and the response was huge. 
So she began replicating famous paintings using only washi.






Four years ago, Nasa had a collection of roughly 450 rolls 
of masking tape, and that collection has since grown. 
What’s also grown is Nasa Funahara’s body of work



a recreation of Jakuchu Ito’s tiger

“Both my parents worked in the aeronautics and 
space industry,” explains Nasa. “
"On the day before I was born Mamoru Mohri 
went into space on the Space Shuttle Endeavour. 
To commemorate the occasion my parents named me Nasa.” 


a recreation of Jakuchu Ito’s golden pheasant


What do you think?
(My washi tape just sits there.)









55 degree, Cloudy, Rain, Santa Ana, CA














A smile for Tuesday ...






No comments: