Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Day 2217: ... two new stories.






1234: junk mail collage













Want music?

 




Click here for Aretha Franklin & Mavis Staples, Oh Happy Day! *
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









Since several seemed to enjoy yesterday's Dr. Nichols story,
and since I need a blog, I decided to tell two new stories.

As mentioned ...
Dr. Alice Nichol's, was Dean of the Fine Arts Department
when I was in college about 100 years ago.




She was a close friend & contemporary of 
 famous artist, Georgia O'Keefe.
She was a no-nonsense, one-of-a-kind, force-of-nature.
 Short, with grey hair in a flat top, horn-rimmed glasses, 
smoked a pipe, wore motorcycle boots, rode a motorcycle or 
drove her MG convertible & carried a little dog under her arm.
You've got the picture, right? 
This was in conservative Indiana in the 60's.

#1

As an art major, I was in her art appreciation class.
I worked hard and had an A average.
I thought I was safe cutting a class.
Next class, in front of the entire class, Dr. Nichol's said
I don't care of you have A's, if you cut my class again
I'll flunk you! I believed her & never missed another class.


#2
 
Years later, after Dr. Nichols retired ...
I received a postcard from Italy.
She was on a trip and wrote to me! 
I was beyond thrilled, and she signed it "Love, Alice"!
I still have it here, somewhere? 
I'll never throw it away.
A misplaced treasure, but it is here, honest!
 
Somewhere.
 






89 degrees, Sunny, Santa Ana, CA
















A smile for Tuesday ...









No comments: