|Uncle Les, collage, old photo & digital|
Click here for Yo Yo Ma, Poem for Carlita
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
10 Keith Haring Quotes
Celebrating the recent birthday of artist/social activist,
Keith Haring, with a collection of his inspiring quotes
that still ring true, even twenty-seven years after his death.
Haring’s work took the streets of New York City by storm
in the 1980’s, as he raised awareness of the AIDS crisis
tackling complex issues of sexuality, birth, and death,
through his iconic graffiti.
1. “Art should be something that liberates your soul,
provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.”
2. “I was always totally amazed that the people I would meet
while I was doing them were really, really concerned with
what they meant. The first thing anyone asked me,
no matter how old, no matter who they were, was,
‘What does it mean?’”
3. “Nothing is important…so everything is important.”
4. “Children know something that most people have forgotten.”
5. “You see that’s why I work like a dog and I worked like a dog
all my life. I am not interested in the academic status
of what I am doing, because my problem
is my own transformation.”
6. “See, when I paint, it is an experience that, at its best, is transcending reality.”
7. “I am a necessary part of an important search ...
to which there is no end.”
8. “I am intrigued with the shapes people choose
as their symbols to create a language.
There is within all forms a basic structure, an indication of the entire object with a minimum of lines that becomes a symbol.
This is common to all languages, all people, all times.”
9. “Drawing is still basically the same as it has been
since prehistoric times. It brings together man and the world.
It lives through magic.”
10. “Art is nothing if you don’t reach every segment of the people.”
I love to feature artists here on this random little blog.
We are all influenced by what we see.
I feel that it goes into a mental file and seeps out
later in bits & pieces, often not remembered by us.
I'd love to know what you think?
A smile for Tuesday ...