Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Day 1615: Happy Boxing Day!






"#01", collage. photo ink & digital








I had almost forgotten about boxing day!
This holiday is traditionally celebrated 
the day following Christmas, 
when servants & tradesmen would receive gifts, 
known as a "Christmas box", 
from their masters, employers or customers.
I decided to re-run parts of an earlier post from 2015.
 

I lived in Australia for four years & boxing day was a big event.
As you know, or don't know (or care?) ...
I was in boarding school age 8 - 11, see here.
At age 11, my Mother married Des,
a rather famous Australian race horse trainer.



He trained racehorses & steeplechase jumpers ...
that raced around the world.
Leaving Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy in Pasadena, CA
We moved to Melbourne,  
& I was enrolled at Kilbreda College
a Brigidine Catholic Secondary School for Girls
can you find me? The only one not looking at the camera! ;op


in Mentone, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
A 30 minute train ride, to and from each day.




   

There were changes.
I learned to jump horses & ride dressage, 
tennis and golf lessons were required.
And I loved Scottish dancing & ballet.
I thought I was "Belle of the Ballet", but, I wasn't.





Four years of my life ... 
with so much "new" to learn and enjoy.
 1 horse, 1 retired racehorse, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 cockatoo & 1 magpie!
Very different from boarding school.
Today, Boxing Day is their public holiday,
and I am remembering that time with a smile. 













A smile for Tuesday ...








No comments: