Sunday, November 13, 2016

Day 1571: A step-by-step, kombucha & ramen, oh my!





postcard: ink, watercolor & junk mail collage








A step by step, kombushcha & ramen, oh my!
I probably could have split this into three posts?
Or omitted B or C sections, but maybe you can edit for me?

A.

A postcard step-by-step ...


step 1.


a quick sketch on 4x6" postcard using brush & ink.



step 2


Adding watercolor quickly & sparingly.



step 3


Adding junk mail for collage ...



step 4


not everywhere, but selectively.



step 5


Reverse side is ready for address & postage,
then off to Neptune, New Jersey!



 B.

I am learning to make Kombucha! 
"Kombucha is fermented, lightly effervescent sweetened
black or green tea drink  commonly intended as functional pro-biotic beverages with supposed health benefits." Wikipedia

some commercial Kombucha
You can (& I have) purchase it commercially.
It is expensive & possibly the qualities vary.
 WonderWoman's friend Tami teaches classes  ...
& I went on Wednesday.
Thursday I made my first batch of Kombucha.




And I took photos to document the process.
Dissolving organic raw sugar in hot water ...
adding green & black organic tea & steep.




When the tea is room temperature, I added the SCOBY.
An acronym for symbiotic colony of bacteria & yeast
 It is the mother culture required to make kombucha tea,
like the yeast starter in making bread.


left insert: SCOBY, and at bottom on right

So now SCOBY is working for up to 15 days ...


left shows SCOBY today, near top

after which I will add organic frozen berries to flavor the tea.
I am just learning, and next to cure veggies!


 C.


My favorite was in the top ten, so I am sharing their review:
.


Shin Sen Gumi Hakata Ramen
Founded in Los Angeles, this chain has two ramen shops in O.C. The gritty Fountain Valley branch feels more like vintage Japan, while the sparkling new Irvine branch comes across rather sterile. The soup is delicious either way.
The Hakata-style tonkotsu is made from Berkshire pork, 
cooked more than 15 hours. 
They let you control the firmness of the noodles 
as well as the thickness of the soup. 

18315 Brookhurst St., Fountain Valley; 714-962-8971. 6404 Irvine Blvd., Irvine; 949-596-7036, shinsengumigroup.com.


Wishing you a great weekend, 
whatever you are up to ... "in your neck of the woods".






A smile for Sunday ...





No comments: