Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 587: Today I am a welder!


Well sort of?
Today I took my first one on one welding workshop.




I have always loved metals ...
especially rusty anything!




And there is this amazing sculptor, Shamus Koch!


For information: contact at 949-497-5526

A popular local artist mentioned in earlier posts.
Not often does an artist teach one on one.
Especially welding. I signed up last August. 
Today was my day ...




I arrived at his magical outdoor Laguna Beach studio ...




with all the necessities ...




helmets ...




gloves ...




shred, rings and rocks ...




the tools ... and I'm ready!




My first assignment ... weld the two railroad ties
for practice & a paperweight at the same time.




Using the wire brush to clean the shred for soldering.




The selected ring, bolt ... all ready to start!




First 4 real solders ... making the base.
Might not be pretty, but it is sturdy. Like me.




The ring was soldered to the base ...
and the shred soldered to the ring ...




I chose to make a hanging pendant for balance ...
by soldering a ball, bolt & chain ...




My finished sculpture, ready to take home.




Before leaving, just a few shots of eye candy.
The creative work of Shamus Koch.




But, I'm in Laguna!




Can't go home this way ...


(looking north)

without a beach picture ...


(looking out)

or two ...


looking down ;o)

or three ?


(looking south)

Right?




And, I thought I'd show you my new addition at home.

A fun day!




A smile for Wednesday ...




No comments: