Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 83: I used to be four.



  Seems quite a while ago, but I used to be four.




I did the above composition years ago, 
as part of my digital timeline.


This was taped on the back of a 8x10". I think it must have 
been in the Hollywood tradition of extolling many talents, 
and worry about delivering them later? 
I do remember some tap and ballet. 
Oh, and I sat on a pony that went in a circle.



My Dad said this was a cover for a ladies magazine.
I never saw a copy. And, this is Hollywood folks.




In 2002,  at UCI, I was assigned a digital project ... 
to combine photos and write a storyline. 
Because I was also developing my digital timeline, 
I used this photo of me at four.
This is what I came up with.




Some relatives have said it is sad, I didn't mean for it be be. 
It's just what flowed from somewhere deep inside.

She was four. Not a beauty, yet not all the way plain. 
Tiny, not tall. Brown hair, and browner eyes. 
Probably not unlike any four year old, except for her quiet intensity. A seriousness uncommon to those so young. 



A single child, loved by handsome parents. But they had their own problems, both individually and together which left the girl with lots of alone time. Time for thoughts and dreams. Maybe, in some ways, she was older than either of her parents, but she seemed to accept that as a given.

She could sit alone in her parents closet occupied by her thoughts, 
oblivious to the shouting coming from the kitchen. She wasn’t there as punishment, rather by choice. She had visions of places far away, exotic people and locals where she had been or would be ... 




Seth Apter is a well known NYC artist, author, teacher etc.  
He is featuring this piece, in his "Playing Favorites" series.  

Just click on Blog: The Altered Page

There are 15 great artists featured. 
This is my second time to be featured, so I am thrilled.
Thank you Seth!


2 comments:

studio lolo said...

I saw this on Seth's blog and it blew me away. It could be my story. It IS my story. I used to spend a lot of my childhood hiding in the closet with my dog until the fighting stopped. And I had a vivid imagination that carried me away when I needed it most.

You're a wonderful writer and an adorable 4 year old!

jacki long said...

Wow! Thanks so much for commenting.

We all think we are the only one, but we are many.
I just love that you wrote and we connected.
Thanks again. jacki