Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 56: I need to draw. Meet Josephine.


In college, drawing professor,  
Dr. Shurtleff required 50 drawings a week. 
He stamped each page weekly.




No masterpieces, but a lot of practice. 
And, I did improve over time.
In 1994,  I returned to school to learn the computer.





Meet Josephine Schwenker,  Klevenville, Wisconsin.
We met at an antique sale. I liked her immediately.
It's always a bit sad to see a photo in a basket, for sale.




My drawing time and skills have waned in this computer age.
So I spent a little time with Josephine.




I could do better in Photoshop, but I need to draw.




And Josephine has a home again.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And i thought reading ONE book was too much for summer.......

-mysterious 1st kyu

jacki long said...


Thanks for commenting Henry,
I don't get many and it means a lot.
BTW a sketch doesn't take quite as long
as reading a book, usually?

Marilyn said...

Did you draw Josephine on your iPad? She's quite the beauty.

jacki long said...


Marilyn ~ No, I just drew her with the Pentel pocket brush pen on watercolor paper, then used pastels and watercolors. In PS I would have fixed that shadow under her lower lip, but no un-do's in drawing in ink.
Thanks so much for commenting, you make my day!